Are you relying on caffeine and sugar for an energy boost just to get through your busy day. It can become quite a vicious but very common and exhausting cycle.
Chantelle has put together her five tips for better sleep.
- No technology in the bedroom – that means no phones, no ipads, no tablets and no TVs! These all keep us up later than we need to be. We can go off track and end up looking at silly things or staring aimlessly at the TV when you should have been asleep an hour ago! And then if you get a message, email or game notification it wakes us up and interrupts our sleep cycle.
- No caffeine after 2pm – It can take your body up to 12 hours to process caffeine from it. This included coffee, tea, coke and energy drinks.
- There are some wonderful herbs that can help with sleep – you can buy some lovely sleep formulas or even a nice cup of herbal tea will help get you to sleep. Why not try some chamomile, lavender or passionflower – even a combo of all three will work nicely.
- Don’t eat too late – the last thing you need is your body trying to digest a meal once you lie down, it will only make bloating, wind or heartburn even worse. It takes about 2-4 hours for food to digest in the stomach
- When you are ready to switch off, sometimes our brain decides to switch on! This is one of the most common complaints I see in clinic. Those persistent unwanted thoughts once you shut your eyes! One suggestion I offer is to keep a notepad next to your bed and write down all of the things on your mind so you can forget about them and look at them again in the morning.
These are just a few practical tips that you can implement today to help yourself have a better sleep tonight.
Chantelle works with and gets great results with many clients who:
- Struggle to fall asleep – your mind decides to think of a million things just as you hop into bed
- Wake between 2-4am with a busy mind
- Light sleepers – toss and turn all night, don’t feel as though you get into a deep sleep